Search for:
kralbetz.com1xbit güncelTipobet365Anadolu Casino GirişMariobet GirişSupertotobet mobil girişBetistbahis.comSahabetTarafbetMatadorbethack forumBetturkeyXumabet GirişrestbetbetpasGonebetBetticketTrendbetistanbulbahisbetixirtwinplaymegaparifixbetzbahisalobetaspercasino1winorisbetbetkom
Mother whose abusive ex-partner broke her hand leads campaign to change law over access to children | UK News

When Michelle’s ex-partner broke her hand – she knew enough was enough.

A line had been crossed. The abuse was emotional, coercive, and now physical. Her, and their child’s safety, was now compromised.

Fearful, Michelle – not her real name – decided that any father-child contact should be supervised.

Michelle - not her real name - decided that any father-child contact should be supervised. 
Image:
Sky News correspondent Sabah Choudhry speaks to “Michelle”


Michelle’s ex-partner, however, wanted unsupervised contact with their child. He pushed back – and what followed was four years of court proceedings.

Michelle, and other campaigners like her, are calling on the government to end the presumption of contact between parents and their children.

On Monday, they will present a report to the government with recommendations to change the law.

Their main demand? To make parental contact earned – and not simply handed to abusers.

Currently, under British law, there is no blanket ban on an abusive adult having contact with their children.

Palace of Westminster / Houses of Parliament

According to the Children Act of 1989, there is a presumption of contact between parent and child when adults separate – to benefit the child.

However, according to Michelle, this isn’t always the case.

“The court system,” she told Sky News, “was as abusive as my ex-partner. It had an agenda to promote unsupervised contact at any cost, despite my medical and police evidence [of harm].”

“It felt to me, I was living in Victorian times, that my child belonged to my partner, and that I had to do what he wanted.

“It’s a very misogynistic system… that it doesn’t matter what the circumstances are – children will always have contact with their fathers.

“But it shouldn’t be at any cost…”

‘No parent is better than an abusive parent’

Dr Charlotte Proudman is leading the campaign.

Dr Charlotte Proudman, the barrister and founder of "Right to Equality"
Image:
Dr Charlotte Proudman, the barrister and founder of Right to Equality, is leading the campaign

The barrister and founder of the non-profit organisation Right to Equality told Sky News: “In my view, no parent is better than an abusive parent.

“Even if a parent is a rapist, a child sex offender, has been abusive, there is a presumption that they should have regular contact with their child, which can mean, in some instances, that a child is having unsafe contact with a dangerous parent.

“To argue against that can cost huge amounts of money and take a significant amount of time, even years.”

‘I shouldn’t be the exception… this should be standard’

This is something Conservative MP Kate Kniveton knows too well.

Conservative MP Kate Kniveton
Image:
Conservative MP Kate Kniveton won a landmark case against her former partner

She told Sky News that she suffered 10 years of abuse from her ex-husband – a former MP.

The family court made findings of rape and sexual abuse, which he denies.

Ms Kniverton won a landmark case against her former partner, which now means he is barred from direct contact with their child.

Therefore, she supports the recommendations to change the law, in order to protect both women and children.

Follow Sky News on WhatsApp
Follow Sky News on WhatsApp

Keep up with all the latest news from the UK and around the world by following Sky News

Tap here

She said: “The result we got with my child was great… my child is protected.

“But I shouldn’t be the exception…This should be standard in so many cases.

“You hear that contact has been ordered even with the most abuse of power.

“It is so important that the government listen to this and they overturn that presumption to protect children.”

As of Friday, the government announced that paedophile rapists will have their rights to contact their own children automatically removed.

But this current campaign wants an end to the assumption that parents can contact their children even when they are guilty of domestic abuse, sexual abuse or child abuse.

In a statement, a spokesperson for the Ministry of Justice told Sky News: “Children’s safety is absolutely paramount and judges already have extensive powers to block parental involvement where there is a risk to the child.

“We are continuing to review the approach to parental access to make sure all children are kept from harm.”

Domestic abuse victims to receive ‘flee funds’ to escape abusive partners | UK News

Hundreds of domestic abuse survivors will receive cash payments of £2,500 each to help them flee their tormentors, under a new initiative.

The £2m scheme, which launches this month, is described as a “lifeline” for women who can’t flee – or are forced to return to – abusive relationships because they cannot afford essentials.

A successful pilot of the scheme last year, saw 600 victims given £250 or £500. A review found 80% of applicants used it to flee to a safe location, as well as buy food, clothing, nappies and security cameras.

The new scheme funded by the Home Office and delivered by Women’s Aid charities, will see these “flee funds” rolled out across England and Wales, and offers an additional £2,500 payment to pay for a rental deposit or bills.

The safeguarding minister, Laura Farris, told Sky News: “The most common reasons preventing people leaving a relationship are a lack of money, the strong fear of reprisals or being found in the future and concern about their kids – can you take them with you, how are you going to pay for everything?

“The point of this cash injection is to give them the security and confidence to make that first move to leave the relationship, and then a more substantial amount to get back on their feet, as they pay for those first few months of rental accommodation and look for a job.

“No government has done this before. Of course, we’re going to have to see how it works and it may be that we need to increase funding.”

Laura Farris
Image:
Laura Farris said no government has implemented a scheme like this before

Read more: Domestic abusers will be tagged on leaving prison to protect victims
Domestic abuse victims put at risk after data breaches revealed their locations

Labour also backed the scheme, but shadow home office minister Alex Davies-Jones said it was “against a backdrop of total failure” given prosecutions for domestic abusers have halved since 2015 despite a rise in reported cases.

There were 2.1 million victims of domestic abuse in the year to March 2023. Domestic abuse charities report calls to helplines last year were well above pre-pandemic levels – blaming the cost of living.

‘I came here because I was scared’

Sky News visited a small refuge for South Asian, Turkish and Iranian women in London, run by the Ashiana charity. They had fled violent relationships and most were ineligible for any public funds.

One, a woman in her thirties who was forced to leave her daughter behind, had slept in a church for several nights after fleeing her violent husband. She is now training to be a beautician, and hopes to leave the refuge this year.

Domestic abuse
Image:
One woman told Sky News she slept in a church before going to a refuge

“I came here because I was scared,” she said. “My husband was beating me; he was hurting me, and I couldn’t find any help.

“It was really scary, it was a new country and I couldn’t speak English. I didn’t know anything”.

She needed specialist support, but said the payment scheme “is a very good idea, being able to buy things I need gives me confidence”.

‘A lifeline for many victims’

Ms Farris said when the prime minister had promised, in a weekend interview, to tighten the benefit system to pay for tax cuts “he’s not talking about victims of domestic violence who have made the life-changing decision to leave their abuser”.

Nicole Jacobs, domestic abuse commissioner for England Wales, said cash payments have never been tried nationally, because domestic violence crossed different government departments.

Domestic abuse
Image:
The scheme could become a lifeline for many victims of domestic abuse

She said it would be “a lifeline for many victims” but said they must reach “those who face the most difficult barriers to support”.

Farah Nazeer, Chief Executive of Women’s Aid, said: “When we worked on the pilot of the fund in May last year, we saw immediately the impact this was having on survivors – over 75% of applicants used their grant to replace or purchase essential goods for themselves or their children, after they had fled their abuser with nothing to their name.”

Labour peers are trying to amend the Victims and Prisoners Bill, currently in parliament, to ban police and other authorities passing on data about domestic violence victims to immigration control.