Search for:
kralbetz.com1xbit güncelTipobet365Anadolu Casino GirişMariobet GirişSupertotobet mobil girişBetistbahis.comSahabetTarafbetMatadorbethack forumBetturkeyXumabet GirişrestbetbetpasGonebetBetticketTrendbetistanbulbahisbetixirtwinplaymegaparifixbetzbahisalobetaspercasino1winorisbetbetkom
Picture agencies pull Kate photo amid ‘manipulation’ concerns | UK News

Multiple major photo agencies, including Reuters, AP and AFP, have pulled a new image of the Princess of Wales from circulation over concerns that it has been “manipulated”.

The picture in question was released on Sunday morning to celebrate Mother’s Day and shows Kate surrounded by her and Prince William’s three children: Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis.

The image was initially circulated by a number of picture agencies but on Sunday night at least two withdrew it and told media outlets to “kill” the photo from their systems and archives.

Associated Press also updated its website to inform journalists and broadcasters that the picture was being “killed”.

The updated caption read: “At closer inspection, it appears that the source has manipulated the image.”

A spokesperson from the Associated Press has told The Daily Telegraph: “The photo shows an inconsistency in the alignment of Princess Charlotte’s left hand.”

Kensington Palace had provided the photo to agencies and said it had been taken by the Prince of Wales earlier this week.

More on Princess Of Wales

Kensington Palace has declined to comment.

More from Sky News:
Kate’s ‘bad uncle’ talks about Harry and Meghan
Why there has speculation about Kate

Prince William, right, speaks to Pierre-Yves Paslier as he looks at sustainable seaweed-based food containers at the Oval cricket ground made by the Earthshot 2022 winner Notpla in London, Friday, March 8, 2024. Pic: AP Photo/Kin Cheung
Image:
Prince William at an engagement in London on Friday. Pic: AP Photo/Kin Cheung

In a message accompanying the photo on Instagram, Kate wrote: “Thank you for your kind wishes and continued support over the last two months.

“Wishing everyone a Happy Mother’s Day.”

The Prince and Princess of Wales’s Instagram post featuring the image has not been taken down.

The Palace’s response makes this all the more bizarre

This is all really strange. We have some respected international news agencies deciding to kill this photo.

In other words, they are pulling it from their distribution websites because they believe it has been changed, altered, photoshopped – call it what you like.

We don’t know what manipulation of the photo means. Is it a filter? Are there tweaks? We just don’t know.

What we do know is Kensington Palace has declined to comment which makes it all the more bizarre.

The picture and message came amid speculation about Kate’s health following a brief hospital stay in January.

Kate was admitted for planned abdominal surgery on 16 January, exactly a week after her 42nd birthday.

The following day, the Palace said the operation was successful and Kate stayed in hospital until 29 January, when she was discharged home to Windsor.

At the time, Sky News understood that her recuperation would likely take between two and three months.

Kate has not been seen in public since she joined other members of the Royal Family for a Christmas Day walk, though US celebrity news site TMZ published a photo of her on 4 March.

King Charles III, Kate, the Princess of Wales, from right, Prince Louis, and Prince George at the Christmas day service at St Mary Magdalene Church in Sandringham in Norfolk, England, Monday, Dec. 25, 2023. Pic: AP Photo/Kin Cheung
Image:
Kate with Prince Louis and Prince George on Christmas Day 2023. Pic: AP Photo/Kin Cheung

The photo was understood to have been taken by unauthorised paparazzi near Windsor Castle.

William has been attending events and engagements solo while Kate has been recuperating.

Facial recognition technology labelled ‘Orwellian’ as government eyes wider use by police and security agencies | Politics News

The Home Office is eyeing an expansion of the use of facial recognition software – including potentially within police forces and the security agencies.

The department put out a call asking for companies to make suggestions of how they could improve the way in which facial recognition is used by the government.

And the market exploration states the government is after benefits that “could be deployed to benefit the Home Office and policing within the next 18 months”.

Politics latest: Rishi Sunak says it’s ‘sensible to engage’ with China

All 43 police forces of England and Wales “are an example of potential customers” for such technologies, alongside “other security agencies”.

The government’s innovation department, Defence and Security Accelerator (DASA), is also part of the process, which will run until 12 October 2023.

Live facial recognition – where cameras scan an area and analyse every person that passes through – is one of the areas in which the government is interested in expanding its position.

They also want to improve their use of retrospective facial recognition, which allows authorities to use the technology “after an event to establish who a person is or whether their image matches other media held on a database”.

A third area is operator-initiated facial recognition – which is where an “operator” can decide they need to use facial recognition on a particular image to help find out who they are.

The use of facial recognition by police forces has raised concerns about privacy, especially when cameras are deployed in public areas.

There are also concerns about how data is stored, and the companies which supply the technology.

A scientific adviser to the police has emphasised the authorities’ desire to “strike the right balance between public safety and individual privacy rights”.

Campaigners liken the technology to that used in Russia and China.

Read more:
Police insist facial recognition tech ‘a force for good
Technology ‘will turn our streets into police line-ups’

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

‘Police must investigate every theft’

South Wales Police was found to have used the technology unlawfully in 2020, as it had breached privacy rights, data protection laws and equality legislation.

The force has since adopted a code of practice to outline its obligations when scanning the public’s faces.

The Metropolitan Police has also used the technology, including at events like the coronation.

‘Totally unnecessary, un-Conservative and un-British’

Speaking about the latest development, Silkie Carlo, director of Big Brother Watch said: “It’s disturbing and deeply undemocratic that the government is planning to expand facial recognition surveillance in the UK. This is an Orwellian mass surveillance tool rarely seen outside of Russia and China and has absolutely no place in Britain.

“The government has no mandate at all to do this, and the fact that the rest of the democratic world is legislating to ban live facial recognition surveillance shows just how backwards the Home Office’s approach to this is.

“Live facial recognition has the potential to invade the privacy of millions of Brits and turn us into walking ID cards living in a surveillance state.

“It is totally unnecessary, un-Conservative and un-British, and the policing minister would do best to focus on fixing our broken law enforcement rather than spending taxpayers’ money on dystopian, experimental software.”

Politics Hub with Sophy Ridge promo

Megan Goulding, a lawyer at Liberty, said: “We all have the right to go about our lives freely, without being scanned and monitored. It’s unacceptable that the government is now looking for new ways to invade our privacy and free expression using facial recognition technology.

“This dystopian technology subjects anyone existing in public to intrusive surveillance, and has a harsher impact on those communities who are already unfairly targeted by the police.

“A court has already ruled once that the use of facial recognition technology breached our fundamental rights. Instead of looking for ways to expand it, the government should be banning its use.”

‘Significantly enhance public safety’

Policing minister Chris Philp has endorsed the potential expansion of the use of technology.

Professor Paul Taylor, the national policing chief scientific adviser said: “Mr Philp and I strongly support the development and implementation of facial recognition technology within the law enforcement sector and are encouraged by its potential.

“We firmly believe that embracing this advanced technology can significantly enhance public safety while respecting individual rights and privacy. Industry is pivotal to realisation of that mission.

“It is essential to acknowledge the concerns surrounding facial recognition technology, particularly those relating to privacy and potential biases.

“However, responsible development and implementation of facial recognition systems can address these concerns effectively.

Click to subscribe to the Sky News Daily wherever you get your podcasts

“By establishing robust governance frameworks, implementing strict data protection protocols, and ensuring transparency and accountability, we can strike the right balance between public safety and individual privacy rights.

“To maximise the technological benefits and minimise the risks associated with facial recognition, it is crucial that we support and encourage industry to continue developing capabilities which can be deployed effectively and ethically.”