Search for:
kralbetz.com1xbit güncelTipobet365Anadolu Casino GirişMariobet GirişSupertotobet mobil girişBetistbahis.comSahabetTarafbetMatadorbetbeylikdüzü korsan taksiBetturkey
Majority of drivers have not read updates to the Highway Code, survey suggests | UK News

Three in five drivers have not read updates to the Highway Code, a survey suggests.

Some 61% of respondents to an AA poll of 13,300 motorists said they had not read changes made in January, designed to provide more protection for vulnerable road users.

New guidance includes things like traffic should give way when pedestrians are crossing or waiting to cross at junctions.

Nine sections of the Highway Code were updated in January, with 50 rules added or amended.

Cyclists are now advised to ride in the centre of lanes on quieter roads, in slower-moving traffic and when approaching junctions.

A hierarchy of road users was also introduced, meaning someone driving has more responsibility to watch out for people cycling, walking or riding a horse, and cyclists have more responsibility to be aware of pedestrians.

The changes were advisory, so non-compliance does not automatically result in a fine.

More than half (52%) of those questioned by the AA had heard about the new rules but not studied them.

One in 10 (10%) drivers aged 18-54 were completely unaware of the updates, compared with 5% of those aged 55 and above.

When asked to identify five correct statements included in the updated Highway Code from a list of 10, the majority of respondents did so correctly.

Tim Rankin, managing director of AA Accident Assist, said: “For many the updated Highway Code formalises safe and sensible roadcraft, however we are concerned that so many still haven’t read the rules.

“While we are pleased that many of the changes can be successfully recalled, we’d like more drivers to know the rules outright so they can keep themselves and others safe.

“It is in everyone’s interest to take every measure that helps avoid collisions and remove confusion from the road, so we urge those that still haven’t read the updated Code to do so as soon as possible.”

Rail passengers facing more disruption as train drivers announce strike on busy weekend | UK News

Rail passengers are facing a fresh wave of disruption as train drivers from several companies have announced another strike over a long-running dispute about pay and working conditions.

The 24-hour walkout on Saturday 13 August will coincide with a busy weekend of football, with Premier League games in Manchester, London, Birmingham and Brighton likely to be affected.

Organised by members of the Aslef union, the strike will affect services run by Arriva Rail London, Avanti West Coast, CrossCountry, Greater Anglia, Great Western, Hull Trains, LNER, London Overground, Southeastern and West Midlands Trains.

Timetables are due to be published on 9 August, but passengers are being advised to follow the latest travel advice, check before they set off and allow extra time for their journey.

While companies not involved in the strike will continue running trains, these are expected to be busier than normal.

The industrial action will also affect services running on the morning of Sunday 14 August, with those planning to travel told to consider starting their journey later in the day.

There have been several strikes held so far this year, with unions calling for a pay increase due to the rising cost of living and raising concerns around job security and working conditions.

Earlier this summer, an RMT walkout became the largest British rail strike in 30 years.

In recent weeks, extensive talks have been held over the issues, but the dispute remains unsolved.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Stationary trains at London stations

‘We must modernise and adapt’

Chairman of the Rail Delivery Group, Steve Montgomery, said: “We’re really disappointed that the Aslef leadership has, for the second time in as many weeks, decided to impose yet more uncertainty for passengers and businesses by disrupting passengers’ weekend plans.

“Like any service or business, things do not just stand still, and we must move with the times. We want to give our people a pay rise, as we know everyone is feeling the pinch due to the cost of living rises.”

He added that further strikes will see people “out of pocket” and urged leaders of Aslef to come forward and reach a deal that is “fair to staff and taxpayers”.

“I will reiterate what I’ve previously said – I am ready and willing to talk to the leadership of Aslef today, tomorrow or indeed any time next week,” Mr Montgomery said.

“They should call off next week’s action and talk to us instead. What our passengers and our staff expect is for us to talk and work out a way through this.”

Subscribe to the Daily podcast on Apple Podcasts,  Google Podcasts,  Spotify, Spreaker

Can people get a refund?

Passengers with advance, off-peak or anytime tickets affected by the strike can use their ticket either on the day before the date it was intended to be used, or up until 16 August.

They can also change their tickets to travel on an alternate date.

If their train is cancelled or rescheduled, they are able to get a refund.

Read more:
What you need to know as rail strikes continue
Labour leader has ‘not lost control of his MPs’

Are there any more strikes planned?

Two further days of strikes have already been announced, with members of the RMT at Network Rail and 14 train operators planning to walk out on 18 and 20 August.

The Transport Salaried Staffs’ Association (TSSA) has also agreed to strike at seven train operating companies on the same days.

This will affect services run by Avanti West Coast, c2c, East Midlands Railway, CrossCountry, Great Western Railway, LNER, and Southeastern.

London Underground workers are also set to strike on 19 August.