Search for:
kralbetz.com1xbit güncelTipobet365Anadolu Casino GirişMariobet GirişSupertotobet mobil girişBetistbahis.comSahabetTarafbetMatadorbetbeylikdüzü korsan taksiBetturkey
Metropolitan Police officer subject to homicide investigation over fatal shooting of Chris Kaba | UK News

A firearms officer at the Metropolitan Police is the subject of a homicide investigation over the fatal shooting of soon-to-be father Chris Kaba.

Mr Kaba died in hospital in the early hours of Tuesday morning after being shot following a chase with police on Monday night in Streatham Hill, south London.

The police watchdog, which is investigating the incident, said a single round had been fired by armed officers.

In a statement, the Met’s assistant commissioner Amanda Pearson confirmed: “The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) have announced that a firearms officer is now subject to a homicide investigation.

“My thoughts and sympathies remain with Mr Kaba’s friends and family with this news. I also know how concerned our communities are and how they will also be affected by this significant update. We share their concern.

“The Met is co-operating fully as the IOPC work to independently establish the full circumstances surrounding the shooting.”

The officer is not currently on operational duties due to the “formal post incident process”, the statement added.

“A senior officer will now carefully consider their work status going forward,” it said.

The scene in Kirkstall Gardens, Streatham Hill, south London, where a man was shot by armed officers from the Metropolitan Police following a pursuit on Monday evening. The man, believed to be in his 20s, has died in hospital. Picture date: Tuesday September 6, 2022.
Image:
The scene in Kirkstall Gardens, Streatham Hill

‘A baby that he’s never going to see’

Mr Kaba’s car was stopped, the force said, following the activation of an automatic number plate recognition camera, which indicated the car had been “linked to a firearms offence in the previous days”.

His family called for a murder investigation after it emerged no firearm was found on him.

Kim Alleyne, whose daughter Karimah Waite was engaged to Mr Kaba and carrying his child, said the pair were due to marry early next year.

She said: “He was so loved. He was so funny. He was super kind.

“He’s got a baby on the way that he’s never going to see.”

'He was so loved' says Chris Kaba's girlfriends mother.

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan said the IOPC’s investigation was a “significant development”.

“I fully understand the grave concerns and impact of Chris’ death on black Londoners across our city and the anger, pain and fear it has caused – as well as the desire for justice and change,” he said.

“I appreciate that there are many unanswered questions and I want to reassure all of London’s communities that I will continue to push for these to be answered.”

The IOPC stressed this development does not mean any criminal offence is proven at this point.

“We continue to ask that people avoid speculating about this incident out of respect for Mr Kaba’s family and for everyone else affected,” the watchdog said.

Chris Kaba: Family of man shot dead by police in London call for murder investigation – and question role of race | UK News

The family of a man shot dead by police have called for a murder investigation into his killing – and have questioned whether his life would have been “cut short” if he were not black.

Chris Kaba, who was due to become a father within months, died after a chase involving armed officers that ended in Streatham Hill, south London, on Monday night.

His Audi was hemmed in by two police cars in a narrow residential street before one round was fired from a police weapon.

His family said on Wednesday they were “devastated” and needed “answers and accountability” over his death.

A statement released through the charity Inquest said Mr Kapa’s family “seek a homicide investigation into his death from the outset”.

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) have been told of the demand of the family who “do not want any delay as has happened in other fatal shootings – otherwise we and the wider public can have no confidence that the police will be held to account”, the statement added.

The family said: “We also want the IOPC to tell us whether or not a weapon was found in any search of the vehicle that Chris was driving.

“We have not received this information even though the shooting happened almost two days ago.”

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Streatham shooting: ‘He was so loved’

Mr Kapa’s family have appealed for any witnesses to the pursuit or the shooting to come forward.

“We are devastated; we need answers and we need accountability,” they said.

“We are worried that if Chris had not been black, he would have been arrested on Monday evening and not had his life cut short.”

The Metropolitan Police earlier expressed its condolences to Mr Kaba’s loved ones, saying the force understood that “the family and community want answers”.

Commander Alexis Boon said the incident was “extremely concerning” and vowed the force would co-operate with the police watchdog in its aftermath.

The scene in Kirkstall Gardens, Streatham Hill, south London, where a man was shot by armed officers from the Metropolitan Police following a pursuit on Monday evening. The man, believed to be in his 20s, has died in hospital. Picture date: Tuesday September 6, 2022.
Image:
The scene in Streatham Hill, south London, where Mr Kaba was shot dead

The officer said: “I would like to express my sincere condolences to the family and friends of the man who died and I recognise the devastating and lasting impact this tragic incident will have on them.

“I understand that this incident is extremely concerning and I would like to reassure the community that the Met is co-operating fully with the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) as they carry out a thorough and independent investigation.”

The shooting is being investigated by the IOPC, as is standard in deaths following police contact.

Speaking at the scene on Tuesday, Kim Alleyne, whose daughter Karimah Waite was engaged to Mr Kaba, said of him: “He was so loved. He was so funny. He was super kind. Crazy. He was always happy. He’d do anything for you.

Kimberly Alleyne who said she is the mother-in-law to be of the deceased, speaks to the media at the scene in Kirkstall Gardens, Streatham Hill, south London. A man was shot by armed officers from the Metropolitan Police following a pursuit on Monday evening. The man, believed to be in his 20s, has died in hospital. Picture date: Tuesday September 6, 2022.
Image:
Kimberly Alleyne spoke to reporters

“He was a fiance, he was due to get married in five months’ time. He’s got a baby on the way that he’s never going to see.

“It’s horrible and so shocking and so sad.”

Some paying tribute at the scene said Mr Kaba was a rapper known as Madix or Mad Itch 67.

Jefferson Bosela, who was Mr Kaba’s cousin, said: “He was a good person, a good, happy guy. He didn’t deserve that. No-one deserves that.

“Nobody deserves to be shot by the police, whether they are a good person or a bad person.”

Families of serial killer Stephen Port’s victims get payouts from the Met over investigation failings | UK News

The families of three of the victims of serial killer Stephen Port have been given compensation by the Metropolitan Police over the force’s handling of the investigation into the killings.

The Met said it had settled civil claims with the relatives of Anthony Walgate and Gabriel Kovari and the partner of Daniel Whitworth.

Port was jailed in 2016 for the murders of the three men and a fourth victim, Jack Taylor.

He was given a whole life order, meaning he will never be released.

A spokesperson for the Met said in a statement: “The Metropolitan Police Service has settled civil claims from the families of Anthony Walgate and Gabriel Kovari as well as the partner of Daniel Whitworth.

“We have previously apologised to the families for the police failings in this matter and understand the impact these have had and the distress caused. We apologise again now.

“Our thoughts and sympathies are with the families as always.”

Port’s killing spree lasted between June 2014 and September 2015. He would arrange to meet his victims via online gay and bisexual social networks and dating or hook-up apps. They were then drugged, raped, murdered and their bodies dumped.

An inquest jury found that officers in Barking, east London missed repeated opportunities to catch Port after he plied his first victim, Anthony Walgate, with a fatal dose of the date-rape drug GHB.

Port struck three more times before he was caught, killing each victim in near-identical circumstances, with police failing to link him to the deaths despite detective work carried out by the victims’ family and friends that would lead to the culprit.

BEST QUALITY AVAILABLE Undated handout file photos issued by the Metropolitan Police of (left to right) Daniel Whitworth, Jack Taylor, Anthony Walgate and Gabriel Kovari. The long-awaited inquests into the deaths of the victims of Stephen Port will get under way on Tuesday. Over the next 10 weeks, an inquest jury will hear details of how four young gay man met their deaths at the hands of the serial killer between June 2014 and September 2015. Issue date: Tuesday October 5, 2021.
Image:
Port’s victims: (left to right) Daniel Whitworth, Jack Taylor, Anthony Walgate and Gabriel Kovari.

Read more: The missed chances to catch a serial killer

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) is reinvestigating the Met over its initial handling of their cases.

The watchdog said there is evidence that the original probe into the conduct of officers was “materially flawed”.

It added that “new information” had come forward at inquests last year into the deaths of the four men.

In January, a coroner’s report on the deaths of Port’s victims identified a “large number of very serious and very basic investigative failings” by police.

This included a “lack of professional curiosity” about the cases.

Officers had denied accusations of prejudice and homophobia, blaming mistakes on being understaffed and lacking resources.

Olivia Pratt-Korbel: Police release image of car as part of murder investigation | UK News

Detectives investigating the murder of Olivia Pratt-Korbel have released an image of an Audi Q3 as they continue to question a man on suspicion of her murder.

The car is believed to have taken Joseph Nee, the 35-year-old man who was injured in the shooting, to hospital.

Merseyside Police has appealed to anyone who saw the black Audi Q3 in the days leading up to the shooting to get in touch.

Liverpool football legends lay flowers at scene of killing – live updates

The vehicle has been seized and it is in the process of being forensically examined.

Detective Superintendent Mark Baker said: “Although we have made an arrest in connection with the horrific murder of Olivia, I want to make it completely clear that we need any information about this vehicle or the wider investigation as much as ever.

“Whatever information you have, and whether you are sure that it is the same vehicle or not, pass it on and we will assess its importance.”

More on Olivia Pratt-korbel

Police released aerial footage of the arrest of a 36-year-old man on suspicion Olivia's murder
Image:
Police released aerial footage of the arrest of a 36-year-old man on suspicion Olivia’s murder

Aerial footage showing the arrest of a 36-year-old man on suspicion of Olivia’s murder has also been released.

The suspect was arrested on two counts of attempted murder during an armed police operation on Thursday night.

One local described the raid on the block of flats in Huyton saying: “We saw armed police, all in black with balaclavas on and machine guns.

“They closed the road off.

“They were here at about 10.30pm for about an hour and anyone who came out of their house they would shout at to go in.

“I think it was coming to an end when I saw them because I saw them putting the battering ram back in the car.”

Olivia’s family has paid tribute to her, describing her as a “unique, chatty, nosey little girl who broke the mould when she was born”.

Olivia Pratt-Korbel
Image:
Olivia Pratt-Korbel

They added: “Although her life was short, her personality certainly wasn’t and she lived it to the most she could, and would blow people away with her wit and kindness.”

The family has urged people to “do the right thing”, and said: “If anyone knows anything, now is the time to speak up. It is not about being a ‘snitch’ or a ‘grass’, it is about finding out who took our baby away from us.”

Convicted burglar Nee, 35, from the Dovecot area of Liverpool, has been named as the intended target of the shooting.

As Olivia lay dying, he was picked up by friends in a black Audi Q3 and taken to hospital.

Girl, 9, shot dead in Liverpool as Merseyside Police launch murder investigation | UK News

A murder investigation has been launched after a nine-year-old girl was fatally shot in Liverpool.

Merseyside Police officers attended a house on Kingsheath Avenue, Knotty Ash, at 10pm on Monday following reports an unknown male had fired a gun inside the property, according to a statement from the force.

The nine-year-old girl suffered a gunshot injury to the chest and was taken in a critical condition to hospital, where she later died.

A man also suffered gunshot wounds to his body and a woman suffered a gunshot injury to her hand during the incident inside the house, the force added.

They have both been taken to hospital for treatment for their injuries.

Assistant Chief Constable Jenny Sims said: “This is a truly shocking incident in which tragically a young and innocent girl has been shot and sadly died.

“Our thoughts and condolences go to her family and friends at this very difficult time. No parent should ever have to suffer the loss of a child in these dreadful circumstances.

“This crime is abhorrent and our communities must come forward and tell us who is responsible.

“This cowardly individual does not deserve to be walking the streets and I would urge those who know anything to speak to us and tell us what they know so that we can put the person responsible behind bars where they belong.

“We are carrying out a number of lines of enquiry as a matter of urgency and would ask for dashcam, CCTV or mobile phone footage from anyone who lives, works or was visiting the area of Kingsheath Avenue last night.”

Murder investigation launched after 15-year-old boy stabbed in London | UK News

Police have launched a murder investigation following the stabbing of a boy, believed to be a 15-year-old, in London.

New Scotland Yard said officers and paramedics were called to Highbury Fields park in north London just before 9pm on Thursday.

A boy was found with stab wounds. Although he was treated at the scene before being taken to hospital, he died a short time later.

A crime scene has now been put in place, the Metropolitan Police said, adding that inquiries are ongoing to inform the boy’s next of kin.

A large police cordon is now in place around the park with officers present.

The cordon is expected to be in place for “a few days” according to one officer who spoke at the scene to a local reporter from MyLondon.

No arrests have yet been made and the investigation into the stabbing are ongoing.

Homicide detectives from the Met’s specialist crime directorate – which investigates murder and organised crime – have been informed.

London teenage homicides: Grim rollcall of young victims killed in capital in 2021

Teenage victims

A total of 30 teenagers were murdered in the capital in 2021.

The number surpasses both the 27 killings seen in 2017, which had been the highest in recent years, and the previous peak of 29 teenage homicides in London in 2008.

Between January and June of this year there were 49 homicides in total in London, although victims’ ages are not included in the Metropolitan Police’s crime data dashboard.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the police on 101 or tweet @MetCC and quote CAD 7948/4AUG. Alternatively people can speak anonymously to the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.