Search for:
kralbetz.com1xbit güncelTipobet365Anadolu Casino GirişMariobet GirişSupertotobet mobil girişBetistbahis.comSahabetTarafbetMatadorbetbeylikdüzü korsan taksiBetturkey
Stephen Lawrence killer David Norris sending selfies from jail with illicit mobile, says report | UK News

One of Stephen Lawrence’s killers has been placed in segregation in jail after he reportedly got hold of a mobile phone and sent selfies of himself in his cell to friends outside.

The Ministry of Justice has confirmed it is investigating the alleged security breach involving David Norris, one of two men jailed for life in 2012 for the racist murder of the black teenager.

In May, a bid to move Norris to an open prison was blocked by then-justice secretary Dominic Raab amid fears he still posed a risk to the public.

And on Tuesday, the Daily Mail reported Norris had been sending pictures of himself in his prison cell to friends on the outside, and using the smartphone to call and text, log onto Facebook and watch YouTube videos.

The newspaper said Norris had updated his WhatsApp status to indicate his eventual release from jail, claiming he would be “coming home in 2 to liven you all up”.

It also claimed he had been seen wearing designer clothes and using an X-Box inside.

The Justice Ministry has warned prisoners found with phones can expect longer jail terms.

Under current rules Norris will legally have the chance to apply to the parole board for release when he completes his minimum prison term of 14 years and three months.

Stephen Lawrence died in 1993
Image:
Stephen Lawrence died in 1993

A Prison Service spokesperson said: “We do not tolerate illicit phones in jail, and prisoners found with them should expect to face longer behind bars.

“We have invested £125 million in tougher prison security measures – including X-ray body scanners that have intercepted over 20,000 attempts to smuggle contraband behind bars in the past two years.”

Segregation

Norris has been placed in segregation while an investigation is under way and could face further punishment depending on its outcome.

Follow the Daily podcast on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Spreaker

It is understood the Prison Service is conducting cell searches, while working to have any social media accounts potentially linked with Norris shut down.

Five men were arrested over the racist murder of 18-year-old Mr Lawrence, who was stabbed to death in Eltham, south-east London, on April 22 1993.

But just two of his killers, Norris and Gary Dobson, were brought to justice. Both were given life sentences in 2012 after being found guilty of murder.

Families of serial killer Stephen Port’s victims get payouts from the Met over investigation failings | UK News

The families of three of the victims of serial killer Stephen Port have been given compensation by the Metropolitan Police over the force’s handling of the investigation into the killings.

The Met said it had settled civil claims with the relatives of Anthony Walgate and Gabriel Kovari and the partner of Daniel Whitworth.

Port was jailed in 2016 for the murders of the three men and a fourth victim, Jack Taylor.

He was given a whole life order, meaning he will never be released.

A spokesperson for the Met said in a statement: “The Metropolitan Police Service has settled civil claims from the families of Anthony Walgate and Gabriel Kovari as well as the partner of Daniel Whitworth.

“We have previously apologised to the families for the police failings in this matter and understand the impact these have had and the distress caused. We apologise again now.

“Our thoughts and sympathies are with the families as always.”

Port’s killing spree lasted between June 2014 and September 2015. He would arrange to meet his victims via online gay and bisexual social networks and dating or hook-up apps. They were then drugged, raped, murdered and their bodies dumped.

An inquest jury found that officers in Barking, east London missed repeated opportunities to catch Port after he plied his first victim, Anthony Walgate, with a fatal dose of the date-rape drug GHB.

Port struck three more times before he was caught, killing each victim in near-identical circumstances, with police failing to link him to the deaths despite detective work carried out by the victims’ family and friends that would lead to the culprit.

BEST QUALITY AVAILABLE Undated handout file photos issued by the Metropolitan Police of (left to right) Daniel Whitworth, Jack Taylor, Anthony Walgate and Gabriel Kovari. The long-awaited inquests into the deaths of the victims of Stephen Port will get under way on Tuesday. Over the next 10 weeks, an inquest jury will hear details of how four young gay man met their deaths at the hands of the serial killer between June 2014 and September 2015. Issue date: Tuesday October 5, 2021.
Image:
Port’s victims: (left to right) Daniel Whitworth, Jack Taylor, Anthony Walgate and Gabriel Kovari.

Read more: The missed chances to catch a serial killer

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) is reinvestigating the Met over its initial handling of their cases.

The watchdog said there is evidence that the original probe into the conduct of officers was “materially flawed”.

It added that “new information” had come forward at inquests last year into the deaths of the four men.

In January, a coroner’s report on the deaths of Port’s victims identified a “large number of very serious and very basic investigative failings” by police.

This included a “lack of professional curiosity” about the cases.

Officers had denied accusations of prejudice and homophobia, blaming mistakes on being understaffed and lacking resources.