Tiree Music Festival cancelled and fans stranded in ferry terminal during ‘extreme weather’ | Ents & Arts News

More than 100 people had to shelter overnight in a ferry terminal after a music festival was cancelled during severe weather.

The MV Clansman ferry was around 30 minutes away from the island of Tiree, in the Inner Hebrides, on Thursday evening when the Tiree Music Festival was axed due to strong winds and rain.

Bands including Wet Wet Wet, Tidelines and Skerryvore were set to play at the event, due to run from Friday until Sunday.

The CalMac vessel was unable to berth on the island due to the severe weather and instead returned to Oban on the mainland, arriving at around 10.30pm.

More than 100 of the 455 passengers on board were left stranded, with no onward public transport options available.

They were offered shelter in the CalMac ferry terminal while port staff arranged for the Royal Hotel Oban to bring duvets and pillows.

Robert Morrison, operations director of CalMac, said: “As soon as we were aware of the situation, the CalMac port team in Oban opened up the terminal building and staffed it throughout the night to ensure all those who were in need of shelter were provided with a safe, warm and dry place to spend the night, as no public transport options were available at that time of night.”

Mr Morrison estimated between 110 and 120 people needed to stay at the Oban terminal building overnight.

Bottled water was provided by CalMac throughout the night and refreshments and snacks were supplied from a local store.

CalMac said police were also on hand to provide support.

Read more:
Thunderstorm warning for most of UK this weekend
‘Lightning hunter’ animations show spectacular storms across Earth

Tiree Music Festival organisers said it was “hugely disappointing” to have to cancel the event, adding they did not take the decision lightly.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Hundreds of fish die after hot weather

In a statement on Thursday evening it said “the safety of everyone on site is our number one priority” and the decision was made based on advice following the “extreme weather conditions we are facing”.

“We are working extremely hard to make sure this process is safe and all-encompassing and to ensure every single person on site is relocated to safety and escorted to begin a safe journey home,” it added.