Henry Searle has become the first British boys’ singles champion at Wimbledon since 1962.
The 17-year-old, from Wolverhampton, beat fifth seed Yaroslav Demin 6-4, 6-4 on Court One at the tournament on Sunday.
His win emulated Stanley Matthews, son of the famous Blackpool footballer of the same name, who triumphed 61 years ago.
Wimbledon men’s final latest: Alcaraz takes on seven-time champion Djokovic
Searle is this country’s first junior champion since Laura Robson won the girls’ event in 2008.
He has ensured more home success at this year’s tournament after Brit Neal Skupski – ranked number one doubles player in the world – won the men’s doubles with Dutch player Wesley Koolhof, on Centre Court on Saturday.
“It is amazing to play on Court One with such a special crowd and manage to get the job done,” Searle said on court.
“It’s a pretty special feeling and it is not going to come too often and I am going to try and enjoy it. It was amazing in front of this crowd today.”
Meanwhile, on Centre Court, Prince George and Princess Charlotte joined their parents the Prince and Princess of Wales in the Royal Box for the men’s singles final.
Wearing a blue dress, the eight-year-old royal held Kate’s hand and petted a police dog before taking her seat to watch the match between Novak Djokovic and Carlos Alcaraz.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
Royals at Wimbledon for men’s final
Speaking to Ella Ottaway, who runs the All England Club’s young people programme, Kate said that the youngest of the Wales’, Prince Louis, was “very upset” that he was not attending.
“It’s Charlotte’s first time, George came last year. They’ve been eagerly watching,” she said.
“Charlotte, you’ve been getting to grips with the scoring. Louis was very upset he wasn’t coming today.”
The title of Queen Camilla has been used for the first time by Buckingham Palace on invitations for the King’s coronation.
It comes as US President Joe Biden told the King in a phone call on Tuesday that First Lady Jill Biden will attend the coronation, the White House said in a statement.
More details of the 6 May event were also revealed along with the formal invitations on Tuesday night.
Camilla has been referred to as Queen Consort since the death of Queen Elizabeth II but is named Queen Camilla on the invites, which will soon be sent to more than 2,000 guests.
The Pages of Honour who will “attend their majesties during the coronation service” have also been named, with future king Prince George among them.
The eight boys who make up the pages are aged between nine and 13 and are either family friends or close relatives of the King and Queen. The group includes three of Camilla’s grandchildren.
The coronation invitations will be printed on recycled card and decorated with colourful wildlife and flowers in a design by artist Andrew Jamieson, a Brother of the Art Workers’ Guild, of which the King is an honorary member.
It was inspired by the Green Man, an ancient figure from British folklore symbolic of spring and rebirth.
The figure appears at the bottom of the invitation crowned in natural foliage and formed of leaves of oak, ivy and hawthorn and the UK’s emblematic flowers.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
Chrism oil prepared for the King
The invitations say: “The Coronation of Their Majesties King Charles III & Queen Camilla – By Command of the King the Earl Marshall is directed to invite… to be present at the Abbey Church of Westminster on the 6th day of May 2023.”
Read more: First portrait of King Charles III released Quest to find volunteer bell-ringers for coronation Duke and Duchess of Sussex hint at invite
A royal source said: “It made sense to refer to Her Majesty as the Queen Consort in the early months of His Majesty’s reign, to distinguish from Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.
“‘Queen Camilla’ is the appropriate title to set against ‘King Charles’ on the invitation. The coronation is an appropriate time to start using ‘Queen Camilla’ in an official capacity. All former Queen Consorts have been known as ‘Queen’ plus their first name.”
Why will Camilla no longer be known as Queen Consort?
Alongside the release of the photo of the King and Queen Consort is the invitation for the coronation that will be issued to more than 2,000 guests.
The wording of the invitation demonstrates that for the Palace the coronation is the appropriate time to start using “Queen Camilla” in an official capacity.
Since the death of Elizabeth II, Camilla has been referred to as “Queen Consort” to distinguish her from the late monarch.
However, the wording of the invitation indicates that after the coronation “Consort” will be dropped.
A portrait of the King and Queen in Buckingham Palace’s blue drawing room was also released on Tuesday.
The Tyson Fury versus Oleksandr Usyk fight is now off.
Talks to make the undisputed heavyweight title fight happen have failed to reach a conclusion, Usyk’s promoter Alexander Krassyuk confirmed to Sky Sports News.
Usyk will now look to make a defence of his heavyweight titles against WBA mandatory challenger Daniel Dubois.
“I will try to express how disappointed I am, not just for Usyk, not just for this fight not happening but for all boxing fans around the world. Because this is probably the most anticipated fight, the most awaited fight, the most wanted one, not just from the fans but from our side as well,” Krassyuk told Sky Sports.
“I would love to see this fight. I would love to make it happen as the promoter. Usyk would love to be part of such a huge fight, we all are willing, we are thirsty to make it happen. Of course we are going to use each and every effort, if there is any. But from my perspective I don’t believe it’s possible.”
Egis Klimas, Usyk’s manager, has questioned whether Fury and his team genuinely wanted the fight in April.
“The Usyk side pulled out of further negotiations as the Fury side never had enough [and wanted] to pull everything and all rights to their side,” Klimas told Sky Sports.
“I don’t want to go into details as all negotiations were confidential but I will tell you one thing, when a fighter doesn’t want to fight he overprices himself knowing that the fight won’t happen.
“They most likely forgot that Usyk is holding the majority of belts in the heavyweight division and Tyson just has one.
“They claimed Tyson is a face and must have all the rights, but look at statistics on pay-per-view with Tyson v Chisora and Usyk v Chisora and then tell me who is who?”
Sky Sports has approached Fury’s UK and US promoters for comment.
Frank Warren, Fury’s UK promoter, has told TalkSportsradio that he believes the negotiations can be salvaged.
But Krassyuk responded that the issue around a rematch clause was just the final straw for those talks to collapse.
“They did as much as we did. They tried hard. We all tried to make it happen,” Krassyuk told Sky Sports “[The] rematch clause was just the point where it all exploded.
“The discussion about the rematch split was just the point where Usyk was fed up with everything. He said, ‘How many more times do I have to bow my head in front of Tyson. Why should I do this? It’s enough. Either he accepts what I say or I leave’. Tyson did not accept it and he left.”
Krassyuk did say a one-fight deal could still be “acceptable, but the split should not be 70/30.”
The undisputed championship, he insisted, was their “highest priority”.
“The money that was anticipated for Usyk in this fight was not even close to what Usyk earned in his last fight. It’s definitely not Usyk’s payday and it’s definitely not his attempt to get more money. It’s his attempt to get the WBC belt,” Krassyuk said.
“We will do our best to deliver this fight to the fans,” he added. “With Usyk, we’ve been together since 2013. We went through hell, through fire, through water, through everything. We never had any troubles with our opponents, we were always flexible.”
The Fury v Usyk fight would have been one of the most significant contests in world boxing.
Between them, they hold all four of the major heavyweight world titles.
Fury, who first became a unified world champion when he sensationally defeated Wladimir Klitschko in 2015, never lost those titles in the ring but they became vacant when he did not box for more than two years.
He made a remarkable return in 2018 and controversially drew with Deontay Wilder that year. Fury then beat Wilder in the rematch to win the WBC title and triumphed again in a sensational 2021 trilogy fight.
Undefeated he has held the WBC belt ever since and last year Fury headlined two stadium fights in London, stopping both Dillian Whyte and Derek Chisora to defend his title.
Usyk, a former undisputed cruiserweight champion, has established himself as Fury’s closest rival at the top of the heavyweight division.
He stepped up to heavyweight and in 2021 dethroned Anthony Joshua to win the IBF, WBO and WBA titles.
The Ukrainian defended those belts with another emphatic win over Joshua last August.
Read more on Sky News: Who is Oleksandr Usyk? Anthony Joshua: ‘I let myself down’ after Usyk defeat
Usyk has become a renowned global figure, returning to his Ukrainian homeland when Russia invaded in February of last year and continuing to represent his country on a global stage when he resumed his boxing career.
After Fury beat Chisora in his last fight, he faced off with Usyk in the ring and their teams conducted intensive negotiations for a protracted period.
Publicly Fury demanded Usyk agree to a 70/30 split, which the Ukrainian did accept as long as Fury consented to make a sizeable donation to the Ukrainian relief effort.
But the two parties were unable to conclude negotiations and Usyk’s promoter confirmed on Wednesday that talks had finally collapsed.
Dubois next for Uysk?
Britain’s Dubois is well-placed to challenge Usyk next, as long as he has recovered from the injury he sustained when he beat Kevin Lerena in his last fight.
Dubois is the mandatory challenger for the WBA title that Usyk holds and the WBA has already stated Usyk must begin negotiations for a defence against Dubois if he cannot show signed contracts for the Fury fight by 1 April.
Dubois is also represented by Warren, like Fury, so talks between the promoter and Usyk’s team will continue.
“We’re going to be having discussions anyway because if it comes to the mandatory Daniel Dubois, he’s with Frank as well,” Krassyuk said. “I treat Frank with big respect.
“We will have to comply with our obligations [for] the mandatories, probably. It’s very early to speak about that.”
No fighter has been considered the undisputed heavyweight champion since Lennox Lewis 20 years ago. Fury v Usyk would have crowned one finally. But the wait, for the fight the boxing world was longing to see, is set to continue.