Search for:
kralbetz.com1xbit güncelTipobet365Anadolu Casino GirişMariobet GirişSupertotobet mobil girişBetistbahis.comSahabetTarafbetMatadorbethack forumBetturkeyXumabet GirişrestbetbetpasGonebetBetticketTrendbetistanbulbahisbetixirtwinplaymegaparifixbetzbahisalobetaspercasino1winorisbetbetkom
Teenager Henry Searle becomes first Brit to win Wimbledon boys’ singles title in more than 60 years | UK News

Henry Searle has become the first British boys’ singles champion at Wimbledon since 1962.

The 17-year-old, from Wolverhampton, beat fifth seed Yaroslav Demin 6-4, 6-4 on Court One at the tournament on Sunday.

His win emulated Stanley Matthews, son of the famous Blackpool footballer of the same name, who triumphed 61 years ago.

Wimbledon men’s final latest: Alcaraz takes on seven-time champion Djokovic

Henry Searle

Searle is this country’s first junior champion since Laura Robson won the girls’ event in 2008.

Henry Searle (R) with the winners trophy and Yaroslav Demin
Image:
Henry Searle (R) with the winners trophy and opponent Yaroslav Demin

Henry Searle (L) celebrates with the trophy after victory against Yaroslav

He has ensured more home success at this year’s tournament after Brit Neal Skupski – ranked number one doubles player in the world – won the men’s doubles with Dutch player Wesley Koolhof, on Centre Court on Saturday.

Henry Searle

“It is amazing to play on Court One with such a special crowd and manage to get the job done,” Searle said on court.

“It’s a pretty special feeling and it is not going to come too often and I am going to try and enjoy it. It was amazing in front of this crowd today.”

Meanwhile, on Centre Court, Prince George and Princess Charlotte joined their parents the Prince and Princess of Wales in the Royal Box for the men’s singles final.

Wearing a blue dress, the eight-year-old royal held Kate’s hand and petted a police dog before taking her seat to watch the match between Novak Djokovic and Carlos Alcaraz.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Royals at Wimbledon for men’s final

Speaking to Ella Ottaway, who runs the All England Club’s young people programme, Kate said that the youngest of the Wales’, Prince Louis, was “very upset” that he was not attending.

“It’s Charlotte’s first time, George came last year. They’ve been eagerly watching,” she said.

“Charlotte, you’ve been getting to grips with the scoring. Louis was very upset he wasn’t coming today.”

‘Everyone affected’ by Wimbledon school crash, say shocked parents | UK News

Parents paying their respects at the scene of the Wimbledon crash have said “everyone is affected” by the tragedy.

The local community has been left reeling after eight-year-old Selena Lau was killed by a Land Rover that crashed into an end-of-term tea party at The Study Preparatory School on Camp Road in Wimbledon on Thursday.

Selena Lau
Image:
Selena Lau

A second eight-year-old was in a “life-threatening” condition in hospital on Friday night, while a woman in her 40s remains in a critical condition.

A total of 16 people were treated at the scene and 12 – including a seven-month-old girl – were taken to hospital and their conditions have been assessed as not life-threatening, the Metropolitan Police said.

The injured adults were parents or carers and not staff at the school, they added.

The car crashed through the fence and into a building at the school in southwest London on Thursday morning.

The driver, a 46-year-old woman from Wimbledon, was arrested at the scene on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving and has been bailed pending further inquiries to a date later this month.

She was taken to hospital and her condition was assessed as not life-threatening.

A Land Rover Defender is seen inside the grounds of The Study Preparatory School in Camp Road, Wimbledon
Image:
A Land Rover Defender is seen inside the grounds of The Study Preparatory School in Camp Road, Wimbledon

‘Everyone’s affected by it’

One parent who brought their young child to the scene on Saturday said: “Everyone’s affected by it, everyone is questioning how it could’ve happened.

“I’m just feeling really sorry for the families of those affected and the kids who survived.

“It’s a quiet road, I’m wondering how can a car build up such speed in a short space of time, it’s crazy.”

Flowers left at the scene by Ian Hewitt, chairman of the All England Lawn Tennis club
Image:
Flowers left at the scene by Ian Hewitt, chairman of the All England Lawn Tennis club

Tribute

Amelia, 19, a Wimbledon local, used to attend the school in 2015. She and her brother laid flowers on Saturday afternoon to pay their respects.

She said: “I think The Study is a tightly-knit community, it’s quite a small school so even after people left, we are all together. We came to pay our respects became it’s not just a school, it’s a community as well.

“I think it’s quite sad because the school is far out of the way, it’s not on a main road, it’s not in the centre of Wimbledon, so it’s shocking that this happened.

“The only reason you’re coming down these roads is to go to the school or the golf clubs.”

Tributes left at the scene
Wimbledon school crash tribute

Cards and flowers with moving tributes to the young girl were laid at the scene throughout Friday and Saturday.

Serena’s family said she was an “intelligent” and “cheeky” girl, “adored and loved by everyone”.

‘Absolutely shell-shocked’ parents carry limping girl away from Wimbledon school crash scene | UK News

The parents of a girl seen limping after a Land Rover crashed into a school in Wimbledon looked “absolutely shell-shocked”.

Seven children and two adults were injured in the crash – with one child seen by the Sky News team on the scene being carried away with a cut to her leg.

Wimbledon school crash – latest

Sky News’ Jacquie Beltrao said a police officer told her “an out of control vehicle” was involved in what police have described as a “serious collision” at The Study Preparatory School on Camp Road, in Wimbledon.

“We have certainly seen one child walk out of here limping, carried by both of her parents supporting her,” she said.

“They looked absolutely shell-shocked, and couldn’t speak. I just said: ‘Are you okay?’ And her dad nodded his head.

“The child couldn’t speak at all.

“They couldn’t tell us what had happened.

“He shook his head again – looked absolutely shocked.”

Read more:
Nine hurt as Land Rover crashes into Wimbledon primary school

Beltrao said the small private girls’ school is set in a “beautiful location” overlooking the Wimbledon Common and a golf course.

“It is not what you expect to happen round here,” she said.

“It’s nowhere near a main road, it’s right in the middle of Wimbledon Common, just a mile or so away from the tennis.”

She described a “massive” response with at least 20 ambulances, an air ambulance and firefighters at the scene.

Wimbledon: Nick Kyrgios withdraws from tournament with torn wrist ligament | UK News

Nick Kyrgios has dropped out of Wimbledon due to a wrist injury.

The Australian, who lost in last year’s final to Novak Djokovic, made the announcement on his social media accounts this evening, on the eve of the tournament.

He wrote: “I’m really sad to say that I have to withdraw from Wimbledon this year.

“During my comeback, I experienced some pain in my wrist during Mallorca.

“As a precaution I had it scanned and it came back showing a torn ligament in my wrist.

“I tried everything to be able to play and I am disappointed to say that I just didn’t have enough time to manage it before Wimbledon,” he added.

Kyrgios had been scheduled to begin his campaign against Belgian former quarter-finalist David Goffin on Court One on Monday.

Read more:
Stars welcome move to allow female players to wear coloured shorts

Will this year’s Wimbledon be Andy Murray’s last?

The 28-year-old has been unable to build on his sole grand slam final appearance after withdrawing from the Australian Open in January due to a knee injury which required surgery.

He had played only one match since, a defeat to Wu Yibing in Stuttgart last month.

Roger Federer recalls how Wimbledon security guard refused to let him in after he forgot his pass | UK News

Roger Federer thought his eight tournament wins at Wimbledon would be enough to get him past the visitor gate – but he was thwarted as a security guard enforced a “no card, no entry” policy.

The tennis star tried to drop by unannounced for tea with his coach when he was in London for a doctor’s appointment.

But when he drove up to the visitor gate and asked how he could get in, he was repeatedly asked for his membership card – with the security guard not recognising him.

The question left him nonplussed.

Recalling the story, he said: “When you win Wimbledon, you become a member automatically. And honestly, I don’t know about membership cards, they are probably at home somewhere and I’ve just been travelling, so I had no idea.

“I’m like, ‘No, I don’t have my membership card, but I am a member. I’m just wondering where I can get in’.”

The guard remained unmoved by his pleas, Federer told host Trevor Noah on The Daily Show, leaving him to try to explain again.

“There’s (usually) loads of people, and I come in a different way. And this is the first time I’m here while the tournament’s not on and I don’t know where to get in, so I’m just asking you again where I can get in.”

Ferderer said he was told: “Other side, but you have to be a member.”

“So I look at her one last time and I’m in a panic now – and I still can’t believe I said this because I still feel bad about this – but I look at her and say, ‘I’ve won this tournament eight times. Please believe me, I am a member. Where do I get in?'”

The 41-year-old managed to gain entrance at a different gate after someone asked him for a selfie and a different security guard recognised him.

He joked: “I thought about going over to the other side and giving a wave that I was in, but I didn’t do it.”

Federer has won 20 Grand Slams, including eight Wimbledon titles. He said he never normally boasts about his titles, so had a split second of doubt about whether he had won seven or eight times.

The Swiss tennis great announced his retirement in September.

At the time he said he “must recognise when it is time to end my competitive career”.

“The past three years have presented me with challenges in the form of injuries and surgeries.

“I’ve worked hard to return to full competitive form. But I also know my body’s capacities and limits and its message to me lately has been clear.”