Two police officers taken to hospital after being stabbed near Leicester Square in central London | UK News

Two male police officers are being treated in hospital after they were stabbed by a man with a knife near Leicester Square in central London.

The Metropolitan Police said a Taser was used during the incident at around 6am and a man was arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm and assaulting an emergency worker.

The condition of the two officers is not known and their families are aware of the incident, which is not being treated as terror-related.

The man arrested was taken to a hospital for treatment where he remains at this time.

Footage from the scene shows police officers guarding an area of Whitcomb Street which has been taped off.

The scene of the stabbings
A man has been arrested in connection to the incident

A London Ambulance Service spokesperson said the service was called to reports of an incident in Great Windmill Street, near Shaftsbury Avenue at 6.01am.

They added that three ambulances, a medic in a response car and London’s air ambulance were dispatched to scene and that three people were treated and taken to hospital.

A view shows the scene where two policemen were stabbed, near Leicester Square, in London, Britain September 16, 2022. REUTERS/Tom Nicholson
The scene of the stabbings near Leicester Square

London Mayor Sadiq Khan has condemned the attack and called for anyone with information about the incident to contact the police.

He described it as “utterly appalling”, adding that the officers “were doing their duty and assisting the public at this momentous time for our country”.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Sadiq Khan on police stabbings

“My thoughts and prayers are with them, their loved ones and police colleagues following this disgraceful attack.

“Attacks against the police will not be tolerated and any perpetrators will be caught and prosecuted,” he said.

The mayor added that he has spoken with the commissioner Sir Mark Rowley and remains in close contact.

Police said inquiries into the “circumstances surrounding the incident are ongoing”.